Wednesday 30 June 2010

Why a blog?

Every year I am frustrated with the amount of seeds I have to buy, at about £1.99 a packet, to get the dozen or so plants I might want.  Seed will keep (in a cool place) for a year or so but to be honest, when it comes to vegetable seeds, they are better bought fresh each year.  As I am gardening for two, hundreds of the same lettuce seed are not needed.  Multiply this by a couple of dozen different vegetables and I end up with thousands of seeds going to waste.


I am also a belt and braces type person and therefore sow double the number I need in case any any duff transplants need replacing.  For example I sow a dozen runner beans individually in pots for the six I really want. Multiply this by a couple of dozen and a few weeks later I have hundreds of beautiful baby plants going begging.


I need to find people locally who could make use of them.  How to find them?


A blog?  I've come up with the idea of a gardening blog for gardeners who live in and around Bury where we could arrange to swap seeds, plants, ideas, information etc..  


I have gardened for getting on for fifty years and am happy to help people with gardening advice and, hopefully, this blog will become a forum for helping each other.  It is the best kind of help because it is local.  Much of what you find on TV, in magazines, and on-line is very 'Southern' based; up here we are as much as a month behind their timing.  Also locally grown/sourced plants thrive much better and we have a knowledge of what does and doesn't flourish in this area.


I've started a collection of 'useful links' which we can add to.  I also thought people might like to recommend local companies who have proved reliable.  I'm very keen on Summerseat for example as my local garden centre but maybe you prefer somewhere else?  Have you had any landscaping done by a good company?  Do you have anyone doing gardening work for you on a regular basis that you could recommend?.... and so on.


As this blog is in its embryonic stage I'd love you to check it out and send me any suggestions as to how we can make it work.  Who knows, by next Spring, we can have something really useful up and running.



5 comments:

  1. Like the blog, great idea, good luck with it, I will certainy be checking back.

    Summerseat is my local garden centre but I find it a bit pricey, though they do have a good selection of plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - nice to see someone. I'll certainly keep this going for a year to see if it takes off, so please do keep coming back - all opinions welcome - that's the point of this. Quite right about Summerseat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your blogspot. I hope it takes off with the locals - it offers encouragement to us knowing that we locals can do it if we want.

    Two years ago I first tried the veggie gardening bit and bought seed packets for lettuces, tomatoes aubergines, etc. Everything started well, but oh that weather and then those slugs (cats as well), plus I ended with too much of everything (instead of reasonable amounts of each veg). The patio was taken over and I was looking for any small space to place a pot, but then the plants outgrew the space. In the end my wife dispaired with me, and eventually my over zealous plant growing became a running joke amongst friends and the family. All this began after watching Jamie Oliver at Home programmes - they were great. Now I have very few vegetables - just got a few lettuces, quite a reasonable amount of strawberry pots, and asparagus which are now in their 2nd season and will be ready to pick next year. To be honest gardening is interesting, hard work and damn frustrating most of the time. Oh, by the way those gnats love me this time of year, and it becomes hard to keep yourself motivated after all the love and attention you have given to your garden. Bye for now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for checking in - that really was the whole point of this and folk don't seem to need the chatter part of the idea - hey ho!

    Like you I am in year three of veggie gardening an followed exactly the same pattern. I wanted to do it all (in a teeny space!) By next year I hope to have settled on planting what I really want - probably potatoes, rhubarb, salads, strawberries and beans and stop messing about with 'daft' stuff that takes five months to produce two fruits. I like cooking so gluts don't phase me. I grew baby corn year one - good example of a lot of work for half a meal. Thanks again for 'saying Hi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This may be one step too far for you - it is for me.

    Did you know Hugh Fearnley setup a 'Landshare' site a few years ago. I just had thought - I wonder if it is still going and low and behold it is. Also if you are interested or any other visitors there is a growing plot available in Hawkshaw, off Ramsbottom Road. Take a look - it can be found at this web site:

    http://www.landshare.net/listings/17060/

    I tried looking for further information about the plot, but it said I need to register with the site.

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.