Monday 30 April 2012

First sunny day

Monday 30th April and this is the first sunny day we have had since coming home on 30th March. Easy for us to remember and not just be guessing at it.


The blossom on the amelanchier has finished.......


























 and given way to my little cherry tree.  The crab apple still has to do its thing..




In a month of being at home despite all our dreadful weather the changes in the garden are phenomenal.  


I've optimistically planted out my dwarf bean plants.  I was tempted to madness by the sight of the seeds I planted beginning to sprout.  


It is happening in all three places which I find surprising.  The greenhouse you would kind of expect as it manages to get to eighteen degrees or so most days in there.  Maybe, also, not too surprising that the lettuce under the cloches are doing OK.  The big surprise for me is that the salad leaves and radishes and beetroots I put in very wet and cold soil have also made it.


I am pretty sure I read somewhere that germination depends more on light than on air temperature and this seems to support that theory.


This is the blue pre-planted disc from the pound shop.








The salad leaves under the cloche.


























A bargain to point you towards this week is the May issue of Gardeners World magazine.  Every year they produce a card and booklet which lists gardens you can get into for two-for-one with this GW card.  Truly useful if you are someone who likes mooching gardens.  The link if you want to find out more is http://www.gardenersworld.com/2-for-1/


Here's hoping the weather has turned (ever the optimist) and we can all get out in our gardens for some long stretches instead of dodging the raindrops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.