Monday 16 July 2012

Edenfield Garden Trail

I think I'd better start with an apology to those of you who did the Edenfield Garden trail thanks to my recommending it.  Not that it wasn't absolutely great BUT the gardens were a pig to find!

I am sure the map and details in the leaflet were written by local people for other local people and perhaps they don't want all and sundry turning up (?) but for anyone who didn't know the area pretty well (like me and mine) it didn't help.  The numbers marking the gardens covered too big an area to easily locate the house and inside the leaflet we didn't have any actual addresses or post codes to use the GPS.  We spent a lot of time (two times) looking for number 14 for example but gave up on it eventually.  My only handy tip for next time (2014!) is to ask at each house for directions to the next one.

The upside of this (?) was that we and (at least) four other people managed to look round someone's very huge posh garden and they weren't even on the trail.  I haven't posted the photos I took there.  I was a good girl and deleted them.

We had a lovely day having a good old nose around other people's (legitimate) gardens.  I just love it. You get new ideas, compare how they and you do the same thing, discover new (to you) plants - I bought three mystery ones!  Good to be humbled when you think you know everything.  Satisfying though as the 'owner' didn't know what they were either.  I'll post a photo when I get a chance between the raindrops to actually take one.

That reminds me we were crazy-lucky with the weather - the sun managed to shine; it wasn't especially warm but it was dry all day.  What more could we ask for in these monsoon conditions.  I think Edenfield is noted as being a cold area.

We only managed eight of the fourteen houses; time and legs wore out.  I have suggested via one of the gardeners on the trail that maybe the committee might consider spreading it over two days.  I felt particularly sorry for the folks at the end of the numbering system as I think many people follow the recommended route and may not make it to them after all their hard work. I hope that's not the case.  I also hope their numbers got a bit of a boost from you two hundred or so readers.  If we don't support this stuff it will disappear and that would be so sad on so many levels.  I do notice that the majority of people who visit gardens are of a mature age.  This is perfectly logical , they have the time and less other commitments to free them up for doing it but we all need to keep it going for the next generation (and the next) to grow into it. 

For anyone however lightly interested in gardens it is a real pleasure to see garden designs and their planting and a huge variety of lifestyles from the very grand to the very small.  You meet lovely (like-minded) people full of enthusiasm if you want to talk to them and ask questions and share knowledge.  Best of all for the significant other who gets dragged around with you there is always the yummiest of cakes and a drink for just a few pennies.  For the plantaholic many people sell and even give away plants to pop in your own bit of heaven to remind you of a nice day out.  All of this will also be supporting a myriad of charities so you get to feel good about handing over your money.

We had lunch at the Eagle and Child.  Take a minute and click the link.  It was the first time for us there so we had no idea of the trade they do.  Being Sunday, it was very busy.  This did mean a 30 minute wait for a table (we hadn't booked) but it worked out well for us as we were waiting for a friend to join us.  The food was excellent, offering something different to the usual pub grub and at a good price.  You may be wondering why am I telling you this in a garden blog?  If you click on the link you'll see why.

I think their garden project is just brilliant and I will be going back in the week some time to take some cloches and a small greenhouse (and other  bits and bobs)  I won't be needing any more.

I have added just a handful of the photos of the day in its own album.  Edenfield Garden Trail.  So, if you went, they will remind you of happy places and if you didn't it will give you a flavour of the very different gardens you can see and encourage you to try it next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.