Monday 16 July 2012

How to pick peas in the rain

Being totally cheesed off with the rain I decided this was the way to pick peas.  I went out and pulled up the plants and picked off the pods indoors.  Besides the obvious advantage of being in the dry I discovered another one - it was so easy to find the pods.   I pulled off stems and held them upside down and all the peas hung down like grapes on a vine.  Simple as a pimple! This led me to considering growing them from hanging baskets next year - seriously.


This method wasn't as drastic as it appears as the plants were ready for yanking out any way.  They've done their thing.  I got a couple of pounds off them - fine for us two.


Now if I could only do this for the rhubarb I want.....  on which note, this is supposed to be the last picking for rhubarb according to the 'experts' (from the South!).  I pick on for another month before letting it 'rest' up before the winter.  If I didn't it would be a very short season up here.


As I am giving up the veggie patch at the end of this year I am eyeing up the utility area for a few veggies.  The house wall is reasonably sunny but the pots would do better if they were lifted off the ground as it has the fence about 10 feet away which makes for a lot of ground shadow later in the day.  I am thinking of three foot high shelving and considering where I could  hang some baskets maybe - I'll let you know when plans gel.  The down side is that the bin collection would have to swap sides which puts them more in sight.... I hate them sooo much.  How I wish I could hide them cheaply.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.