Sunday 12 August 2012

Flowers, veggies, flowers

My East facing border must be totally giddy by now.  In 2007 and 2008 it was hot colour border, although even that wasn't static and included a tree moving around a bit!  In 2009 it became the new veg garden with raised beds.  The only moving around for the next couple of years was legitimate as the veg rotated.  When I took my border record photos (more of this in a while) this July it was still doing  that job.  One month later in August and all the vegetables have gone and it is returning to a flower border.


My poor long suffering other half kindly removed all the boxes and put in an edging to match the rest of the garden.


I then raked away to try and grade the excess soil to fit in the space.  This proved impossible and we had to remove a couple of trugs of it and spread it around the other borders to dispose of it.  The soil in the new border is like a TV garden.  You know how in TV gardening programmes they virtually dig a hole with a butter knife, well I have exactly that - friable is an understatement.  Such joy while it lasts.  Indeed it was so soft from being unwalked on raised beds that we actually had to tread it down to firm it up for planting and get rid of pockets of air.

By the end of the day we had achieved this and planted the tree and the four plants I bought from the Edenfield trail tour.


By the next day I had planted the remaining twenty-four plants from Gills, added a couple of hanging baskets which were on the utility area arch trellis to cheer up the blank ends and, with the exception of the cat poo preventers, it is beginning to look like a garden.

Does anyone know what the white flowers are? Click on the photo to enlarge.

As always these photos and others are continually being added to my Garden 2012 album. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.