Wednesday 26 September 2012

Webbed feet

Those of us in and around Bury must be wondering if we should consider ark building after all.  It really is incredibly wet!!  I have two cachepots standing on my tables on the patio that I had to take the fuchsias out of because they were literally overflowing with rain.  In less than a week they have filled up to the top. 

There is no way I can get in the garden to do anything.  The lawn has a lake at the bottom and the rest of it is a mire.  The beds themselves aren't workable in this even assuming I was prepared to be out there doing it.  One day this week I waited and waited for it to stop long enough to get to the greenhouse to water (!) my plants.  It didn't and by early evening I had to tog up and grab a brolly just to do that.


Meanwhile my fantastic freebie has arrived from Spaldings. They are worth about nineteen pounds - no small beer in my book.  Thanks a lot to them.

I have one hundred perfect bulbs and two Russian sage.  The sodden chap who delivered them said he hoped they were a box of water lilies otherwise he'd probably wasted his time.

So, now I am doubly frustrated by the monsoon as I have 14 free daffodils I picked up from Summerseat and this great gift to get planted.  I am determined the sage is going in tomorrow even if I do it in the rain.  I just don't fancy spending ages removing all the weeds from the bed.  I might just clear a big enough space and hope I can get to the weeds sometime before we decamp for warmer climes.  

I could put all the bulbs in pots except I can't get out to empty the pots of their summer annuals so that I can do that.  Frustration all round.  I bet every gardener around here feels the same right now.

If this is an example of Spaldings' products - so far, so good; very fat, clean, firm, good size bulbs, two promising (bare root) Sages, all nicely packed and with loads of information about how to plant them if you are new to the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.