Saturday 5 January 2013

Home for Christmas

We got back to Bury on the 18th and by the 21st I was meeting Donna at the Community Allotment to pick up my key and choose my plots.  Here they are...



I have the three concrete squares
I tried to figure out which boxes would get the most sun most of the day - what direction they faced, were they encumbered by trees etc.  Hopefully I chose well. They are a little over six feet by six feet.

We then begged some cardboard off a friend which I laid on top of a couple of them - hopefully this will keep down some of the weeds.  This was our first job on Christmas morning and my feeble attempt at lasagne gardening.  Hopefully by the autumn of next year I will have that sussed and be blathering about it here.

Bed one will have ever-bearer strawberries and rhubarb, so pretty much permanently planted.
Bed two will have potatoes so, again, once planted, not too much to do there.
Bed three will be the 'whatever' veg - runner beans, salads, peas,- whatever takes my fancy.

I asked Donna where the allotment was up to and she said


  • In the New Year I am applying for funding for some more water butts, wormery, compostery, habitat mound, a portaloo and a couple of other items too
  • There are 3 beds left
  • We are looking in the long term to get a group of volunteers to oversee and run the site


I am so happy there has been a good uptake.  So right now there is just three to go, BUT remember there is room to add more, so don't be shy.  If you just fancy one small one that can be easily managed or if you are greedy, like me, I am sure that can be done too.  Just ask!



Donna Cartwright
Community Development Worker 
Six Town Housing 
6 Knowsley Place 
Angouleme Way 
Bury 
BL9 0EL 
Tel: 0161 686 8000


My album Garden - The Lotty - 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.