Sunday 23 June 2013

In my garden now

These are the last of my bulbs from Spaldings Bulbs and are lovely.  The white iris came out first and the next day the yellow ones did their thing and the next day the purple ones strutted their stuff.  They are lovely and healthy and a nice size and will find a place in my borders when the flowers have finished.

So, all the bulbs I had from them were terrific.  Only the alium were puny and in fairness to them I am rubbish at growing alium and I think it was down to me.  They were under-potted and the pot was standing in water most of the time and they don't like wet feet so they didn't get their best test.  They have gone into the garden and seem to be surviving well so, who knows, I may get brilliant ones next year.


The orange poppies are ruining my colour palette as they do every year but they win!  I have dug them up year after year and they come back every year so I am trying to learn to enjoy them for the short time they are with me.  They do jangle the nerves though as they fill my eyeballs.

For someone who has allowed creeping buttercup to flower and grasses to grow in her borders I have a cheek complaining about rogue poppies.



Honestly I am trying to actually cultivate a wild look so the borders will need less maintenance.  It is probably not a great idea but worth a shot.

I want roses, foxgloves, poppies, astrantia, japanese anemones, astilbe, granny bonnets and their like to take over and do their own thing and I will just remove the thuggy occasional dock, thistle or whatever.  In reality what's happening is that a mass of grass, creeping buttercup and nettles are having a field day!

To cheer me up here's one of my favourites - I love foxgloves and they are coming into their own right now in all the right (!) colours. 

Click on a picture to make it bigger if you want to see the weeds better!  Have a look at the web album if you want to see more flowers.  Link on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.