Sunday 9 June 2013

Prolific?



Aquilegia

Columbine

Granny Bonnets

Last year I grew hundreds of granny bonnets from seed.  A friend brought me some packets back from her visit to Giverny.

I planted as many as I could make room for - probably about thirty good size plants.  I gave the rest to anyone I could persuade to take them, including my friend the giver.  

I also told them they would have them in their garden forever and every one would be a surprise as they hardly ever repeat themselves.  

Granny bonnets are famous for their promiscuity and fecundity and if they do really well you can end up cursing them as you are pulling them out like weeds from every nook and cranny.  

I was overjoyed by this prospect as I am sort of turning my borders into semi-wild and want to plant anything that will self-seed and fill in every little spare spot before the creeping buttercup and grass does.

Here are five of the six plants that have appeared this year.  Seriously, I have a grand total of six plants.  My friend, the giver, has a zillion!

That said - aren't they just lovely.

Please, please let me have a million more next year.




This is the one I actually have duplicated.  Obviously the toughy of the bunch!
This looks mucky coloured here - it is actually the colour of claret and gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.