Saturday 24 August 2013

Microwave Jam

We came up trumps with the strawberries on our last visit to the lottty.  The were very large, very red and delicious.... and .... too many to eat!  Answer?  Microwave Jam.  The recipe is at the top of the blog under Recipes M - R 

It isn't worth making jam the 'proper' way unless you are doing 5 lbs plus of fruit - lot of big kit and longish chore.  I f you have about a lb of fruit as i did this is the way to go. Here's the process for anyone who hasn't done it.


Everything you need.
Kit: something to crush the strawberries, big bowl cup, tablespoon and teaspoon measures, lemon squeezer.  You can use an ordinary cup (not mug) and proper tablespoon and teaspoon and just cut the lemon in half and squeeze it - so no cooking kit necessary.
Ingredients: see recipe -crushed strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, dab of butter in a big bowl.  so you might have to buy a lemon - you need it to set the jam.





15 minutes in microwave and test for set.  Do this by dobbing a bit of jam on a cold saucer or something small - put in fridge when you start so it is very cold, the jam will thicken as it cools and wrinkle a bit when you push it with the spoon.  Mine was set on this first test.








I have a jam funnel to help me get jam into jars tidily.  Not necessary but if you are going to just pour it I'd wait until it cools a bit - jam is at a higher temperature than boiling water so its a burn you don't want.  The funnel makes it easy so in it goes.









One and a bit jars.  I am sure you can do the whole sterilising jars and wax sealing etc and keep the jam for ages, but as this will only last us a couple of weeks at best, I just lob it in the fridge and a few butties, a handful of scones and a Victoria sandwich later it is all gone.

No idea how I get fat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.